Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Mass Exodus

Last week I went with my Ethiopian sister to go and watch a movie in Addis Ababa.  I had to go into town for a short visit to the dentist and so I thought I’d use it as an opportunity to catch up with her.
 
Checking out the line up on the movie list, nothing really appealed to me at that time in the English speaking movie section. However, since we had planned to see a movie, there was an Amharic movie on at that time so we thought we’d go check it out.  Not knowing what to expect- thinking there wasn’t even going to be subtitles and nervous about being the only one in the cinema not laughing at the funny parts, I was so happy to see the first English subtitle pop up at the bottom of the big screen. 

Triangle.  The English interpretation of the movie title- Soset Me'azen

It began with a group of Ethiopian asylum seekers walking through the Egyptian desert, one wife talking about how her husband blamed everything that went wrong in their life, with the country of Ethiopia itself.  She was part of the six main actors who we followed through their journey in search of a better life in America. To do this they risked life and limb to cross Egypt, travel by boat across the rough Mediterranean sea to Italy, illegally boarded a plane to Mexico then after a long drive up North, had a five day walk by foot and truck to Los Angeles. 

Along the journey they suffered many struggles; an attempted rape, malnutrition, dehydration, bribery, a dust storm that killed one, the death of one man’s wife (had to get the tissues out for that one), and a hijacking of their plan at the end by the American’s who took them into the country. 

The thing that amazed me about this movie is that this happens all the time.  The movie is a collaboration of many stories people have told about their exodus out of Ethiopia.  It is a mass exodus.

I remember telling my friend in New Zealand before we came here about my strong desire to go to Ethiopia.  She was like "are you crazy?  Everyone is trying to leave that country and you are trying to move in?!"  I didn't know how right she was.

Desperation.  We’ve seen it so many times here.  It leads people to go beyond their limitations to find something better, reach for something more.   It lines the immigration steps every day, all day.  4000 women every day are there to apply for visas and passports so they can go to the Middle East to work as modern day slaves of many kinds. The thing that frightens me the most is that these women are living on a word of a man they do not know about a country they do not know where they speak a language they do not know. 

My friend here volunteered some time at the Refugee and Returnee Services in Addis Ababa and she said that some women who returned from these countries took three to four months to regain consciousness after being drugged for such a long period of time.  Used as sex slaves under the disguise of   house slaves.  And I say slaves because these women only earn around USD200 a month- maximum!  For a job that requires 24/7 labour.  That is worse case scenario, I know, but why risk your life, your dignity, your self worth?  Desperation.



Recently the news here promoted the news story from the Australian government who announced that any asylum seekers who try to enter Australia by boat will now be deported immediately to Papua New Guinea.  How ironic that this news comes out at the same time as this movie.  That it’s broadcast here in Ethiopia to send a message to Ethiopians who might be getting ideas about illegally trying to enter the land so wide that is called Australia. 

Why does this desperation exist?  Why must it exist?  There’s got to be some hope at the end of the tunnel.  And I would like to say that hope is Jesus- because it is-but even within the church I hear stories of women going to Arab countries to work as slaves, and men risking their life to illegally travel out of the country in hope for something better. 

It’s a breaking free from the bondage that is set here by governmental policies, a need to be satisfied with the land flowing with milk and honey that defeats the dry barrenness that can be perceived to exist here. 

I wish I could say I empathize; that I understand.  I have had tastes of it here and there and I know the frustration of living in a country that’s so far behind in so many ways but I can not say that “I know how it feels.”  I have a country I can escape to at any time.  Many countries I can go to without having to go through a rigorous Visa process.   

But I see Ethiopia as a land of opportunity and potential.  It's economy is growing and it's landscape is beautiful.  The people here have hospitality built into their DNA and have so much to offer the world.  If only they would see.  If only the world would see beyond the poverty.  If only the government would see beyond their current policies.

I think some people are getting it.  I have met some well off Ethiopians here lately.  Some who have lived overseas and have returned because of the prospective business potential Ethiopia holds.  The lifestyle here is more suitable for them.  The return on investment is getting higher and higher.  They have a vision for the country and for their lives that involve the country.

Over the last few months while Asaua was away, the option of moving back to New Zealand seemed like a logical move to make.  But in my mind, I couldn't imagine living back there.  I like it here.  I really do.  I think that if I had an option of where I would bring up my children, that right here is where it would be- even outside of the calling.  Last night even as I was talking with my husband about our kids, he said, these four that remain here with us, they really like it here.  Yes, they miss New Zealand and our family and friends but life here is adventurous, it's exciting (too say the least) and it's good for our family.  We feel spoiled and blessed to be here.  So let's stay.

 

Pray for this beautiful country.  That within it, there would be a contentment and a realization of the potential it holds. And as Psalms 68:31 says...that

Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands unto God.

No comments:

Post a Comment